- 1.5kg Cloudy Bay diamond shell clams
- 50mL cooking oil
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 Tbsp plain flour
- 300mL cream (or soy milk if you want to go dairy-free)
- Handful of Italian parsley, finely chopped
- Carefully remove clams from pack making sure to retain the clam juice. Reserve juice in a large bowl. Rinse clams quickly under running water.
- Bring 500mL of water to a rolling boil in a large pan. Gradually add clams while maintaining high heat.
- Remove individual clams as they open and place in colander. Add clam stock to the reserved juice, leaving any grit in the pan. This liquid will be the stock for the chowder.
- When clams are cool, save a few pieces for final garnishing. For the rest, remove the meat and chop into 1cm pieces.
- Heat oil in a large pot and cook onion until soft and golden.
- Gradually add cream (or soy milk) and slowly bring to boil. Take off heat and stir in the clam meat.
- Season with black pepper and a little salt to taste. Garnish with the clams still in the shell and some parsley. Serve with crusty bread.